- 02-09 Nick Szabo - Money, blockchains, and social scalability.
03-03 Gold Parity Day - 1 bitcoin surpassed the price of 1 oz of gold for the first time.
03-11 Jameson Lopp - Nobody Understands Bitcoin (And That’s OK).
03-14 QR 2017 - Beautyon - Bitcoin is. And that is enough.
- 04-30 Andreas Anotonopoulos - “The Stories We Tell About Money”
05-15 First Release of Joinmarket by Adam Gibson, a CoinJoin implementation aimed at improving the privacy and fungibility of bitcoin transactions.
05-23 NY Disagreement Day - The “New York Agreement” was reached on this day in 2017 that began the fork wars in earnest with the initiation of the SegWit2X proposal.1
- 06-020 The bitcoin symbol was encoded in Unicode version 10.0 at position U+20BF (₿) in the Currency Symbols block.2
- 07-12 Tuur Demeester - Critique of Buterin’s “A Proof Of Stake Design Philosophy.”
08-01 Bitcoin Independence Day The official end of the Blocksize Wars.
08-08 SegWit Lock-in Day Segregated Witness is officially locked in by the UASF client on the Bitcoin network.
08-18 “This is lies, my trust in you is broken, I will make you obsolete” Nicolas Dorier pledges to make Bitpay obsolete.
08-23 Activation Day! SegWit activated on Bitcoin mainnet at block height 481,824 at 1:57 UTC. the SegWit soft fork was a success!
- 09-29 BTCPayserver v220.127.116.11 released on GitHub by Nicolas Dorier”
11-07 NO2X Day! The SegWit2X supporters finally throw in the towel just a week before the date of activation.3
11-29 1 BTC is worth 10,000$ for the first time.
12-01 Dhruv Bansal - Why It’s Hard to “Get” Bitcoin.
12-06 Steam announced that it would no longer accept bitcoin as payment for its products, citing slow transactions speeds, price volatility, and high fees for transactions.4
12-17 Bitcoin Valued at US$20,000.